Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Up to $38 million, less with Jaren Jackson Jr.
Roster Count: 18 guaranteed, one two-way, one summer contract
PG: Ja Morant, De’Anthony Melton, Tyus Jones
SG: Desmond Bane, John Konchar, Sam Merrill
SF: Dillon Brooks, Ziaire Williams, Jarrett Culver, Yves Pons (summer contract)
PF: Jaren Jackson Jr, Kyle Anderson, Brandon Clarke, Daniel Oturu
C: Steven Adams, Xavier Tillman Sr, Santiago Aldama, Juancho Hernangomez, Killian Tillie (two-way), Marc Gasol
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Grayson Allen, expiring 7/7/22) — $4,054,695
- Room Exception — $4,910,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Yves Pons $925,258 — 1/7/22
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Jaren Jackson Jr
- Desmond Bane (third-year)
- Jarrett Culver (fourth-year)
- Ja Morant (fourth-year)
- Brandon Clarke (fourth-year)
Waived Players: Sean McDermott (two-way), Rajon Rondo
Traded Players: Jonas Valanciunas, Grayson Allen, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Beverley
G-League Affiliate: Memphis Hustle (general manager Daniel Marcus, head coach Jason March)
Two-Way Contracts: Killian Tillie
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Robert Pera
- Zachary Kleiman — general manager & executive vice president of basketball operations
- Tayshaun Prince — vice president of basketball affairs
- Rich Cho — vice president of basketball strategy
- Chantal Hassard — vice president of team operations and player programs
- Chris Makris — director of player personnel
- Glen Grunwald — senior advisor
- Chris Wallace — senior advisor of player personnel
Head Coach: Taylor Jenkins
Assistants: Blake Ahearn, Brad Jones, Darko Rajakovic, David McClure, James “Scoonie” Penn, Sonia Raman, Vitaly Potapenko
Trainers: Eric Oetter (director of sports medicine), Christopher Chase (director of performance), Michael Roncarati (director of rehabilitation), Jeff Deits (head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder (top-six protected in 2022, top-three protected in 2023, top-one in 2024 otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) from the Utah Jazz (Mike Conley). If conveyed, the 2026 second-rounder will go to the Golden State Warriors (Eric Paschall).
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder (top-10 protected) from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis, Jonas Valanciunas), otherwise owed a second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes, Jonas Valanciunas).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the Utah Jazz (Santiago Aldama).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder (top-4 protected in 2024, top-1 protected in 2025 and unprotected in 2026) from the Golden State Warriors (Andre Iguodala).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Toronto Raptors (Marc Gasol).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Marc Gasol).
- 2024 — Owed the higher second-rounder from the Indiana Pacers and the lower of the Cleveland Cavaliers or Utah Jazz (Leandro Bolmaro, James Harden, Isaiah Todd, Grayson Allen).
- 2024 — The higher second-rounder from the Washington Wizards and Grizzlies will go to the Detroit Pistons, the lower to the Los Angeles Lakers (Brandon Clarke, Admiral Schofield, Russell Westbrook, DeAndre Jordan).
- 2025 — Owe a second-rounder to the Boston Celtics (Desmond Bane), will convey to either the Orlando Magic (Evan Fournier) or Oklahoma City Thunder (Kemba Walker).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the Utah Jazz if 31-42, otherwise to the Golden State Warriors (Santiago Aldama, Eric Paschall).
- 2026 — Owed a the higher second-rounder from the Indiana Pacers and the Miami HEAT (TJ Warren, Isaiah Todd, Grayson Allen).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $1 million to the Milwaukee Bucks (Grayson Allen) — $4,785,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $250,000 to the Memphis Grizzlies (Marc Gasol) — $5,535,000 remaining
- 9/15/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Sam Merrill.
- 9/20/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Daniel Oturu.
- 10/1/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Jarrett Culver and Juancho Hernangomez.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline for Jaren Jackson Jr.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/29/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Marc Gasol.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Jarrett Culver, Desmond Bane, Brandon Clarke and Ja Morant.
- 12/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Yves Pons.
- 1/7/22 — Yves Pons’s $925,258 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Sam Merrill, Yves Pons, Killian Tillie, Jaren Jackson Jr and Daniel Oturu.
- 6/30/22 — Juancho Hernangomez’ $7,531,880 guarantees for 2022-23 (incentives TBD).
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/3/22 — John Konchar’s $2.3 million guarantees for 2022-23.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/7/22 — Grayson Allen trade exception expires.
- 8/1/22 — Patrick Beverley trade exception expires.
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines for Brandon Clarke, Ja Morant and Jarrett Culver.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Desmond Bane, Ziaire Williams and Santiago Aldama.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Brandon Clarke.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Xavier Tillman Sr and Jarrett Culver.
- 7/3/23 — De’Anthony Melton’s $8 million guarantees for 2023-24.
- 7/3/23 — John Konchar’s $2.4 million guarantees for 2023-24.
- Before first day of 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Desmond Bane.
- 10/31/23 — Team options on Ziaire Williams and Santiago Aldama.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Desmond Bane.
- Before first day of 2024-25 season — Extension deadline for Ziaire Williams and Santiago Aldama.
- 6/29/25 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Ziaire Williams and Santiago Aldama.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/3/21 — Extended executive vice president of basketball operations Zach Kleiman’s contract.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Trey Murphy (2021-17th) and BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st).
- 7/30/21 — Waived Jontay Porter.
- 7/30/21 — Issued a qualifying offer to Killian Tillie.
- 8/1/21 — Opted Justise Winslow out of his final season.
- 8/6/21 — Renounced the rights to Justise Winslow, Tim Frazier and Tyler Dorsey.
- 8/7/21 — Traded Jonas Valanciunas, Trey Murphy (2021-17th) and BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st) to the New Orleans Pelicans, and Tyler Harvey (2015-51st) to the Charlotte Hornets for Steven Adams and Eric Bledsoe via cap room, Ziaire Williams (2021-10th) and Jared Butler (2021-40th) from the Pelicans.
- 8/7/21 — Traded Grayson Allen and $1 million to the Milwaukee Bucks for Sam Merrill via the minimum exception, generating a $4,054,695 trade exception (Grizzlies operating as a team over the cap).
- 8/7/21 — Traded Jared Butler (2021-40th), a 2022 second-rounder and a 2026 second-rounder to the Utah Jazz for Santiago Aldama (2021-30th)
- 8/7/21 — Sam Merrill’s $1,517,981 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/8/21 — Signed Ziaire Williams (2021-10th) to a $19,907,925 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/8/21 — Signed Santiago Aldama (2021-30th) to a $10,243,371 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/9/21 — Signed Yves Pons to a $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/11/21 — Re-signed Killian Tillie to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/16/21 — Traded Eric Bledsoe to the Los Angeles Clippers for Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo and Daniel Oturu (via the minimum exception).
- 8/25/21 — Waived Sean McDermott (two-way).
- 8/25/21 — Traded Patrick Beverley to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Jarrett Culver and Juancho Hernangomez.
- 8/28/21 — Waived Rajon Rondo.
- 9/10/21 — Traded Wang Zhelin (2016-57th) to the Los Angeles Lakers for Marc Gasol, a 2024 second-rounder and $250,000.
- Kyle Anderson — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Satnam Singh (2015-52nd)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Arena: FedEx Forum
Explore more about the Memphis Grizzlies Team Stats here.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/12/21)
If you are looking to bet on Memphis Grizzlies, make sure to check on our guide about sports betting in Tennessee. You can also use one of the numerous US online sportsbooks or one of the offshore betting sites or bet on the go with the best mobile sports betting apps.
- Kyrie Irving asks fans and reporters to ‘respectfully’ back off while he decides his future: ‘I am in no rush’
- Former Lakers center Kwame Brown calls LeBron James a ‘stat sheet junkie’
- ESPN’s Mike Greenberg thinks ‘The Celtics should win every single game’ after being down 3-0 to Miami
- Dallas’ Kyrie Irving could have a shoe deal signed with Adidas in the near future
- Sixth Man of the Year Malcolm Brogdon has been playing through a torn tendon in his shooting hand